I’m talking to Yvette Amirian, ACE on episode 39 and Yvette has built a successful editing career by transitioning seamlessly between scripted and documentary content for the better part of two decades. We get to hear about her experience cutting her most recent project The Integrity of Joseph Chambers, a new scripted feature directed by critically acclaimed filmmaker Robert Machoian.
We also discuss the topic of career decisions and how to pick a career path that is right for you because deciding what type of content to work on can be a daunting task, with many factors influencing our choices. From personal interests, to societal expectations, economic factors, parenting…there is a lot to consider when trying to navigate an editing career.
Whether you are a recent graduate just starting out on your career journey, or an experienced post production professional looking to make a change, this episode will provide valuable insights and practical advice to help you make informed decisions about your career path.
Some key takeaways from episode 39 include:
- How to avoid being pigeonholed early on in your editing career
- What it takes to be a good documentary editor
- Developing a financial plan to help you make strategic career decisions when you’re starting out as an editor
- How networking helped Yvette make the shift from documentary to feature film editing
- The importance of advocating for yourself
- Learning to say ‘no’ to things that will deviate you from your goals
- How to balance an editing career and parenting
- Why you should expand your network and work with different creative teams
- How Yvette’s doc experience helped her edit The Integrity of Joseph Chambers
- How to communicate ideas and opposing views with directors
- The importance of not being afraid to make a career transition
Get on the waitlist for the Break Into Scripted online course – the ultimate playbook to start a career in film & scripted television!